The situation around Coronavirus and the risks it poses is continually changing, so we always advise visiting the following NHS Inform website for real-time updates and advice.
If you have MND you are at high risk of COVID-19 severely affecting you, therefore people with MND are on the 'highest risk list', previously shown as the 'shielding' list. The ‘shielding list’ and the ‘highest risk list’ are the same. The words ‘highest risk’ rather than ‘shielding’ is now being used because it's highly unlikely you'll be asked to shield again.
If you have MND, please:
- do not stop taking any medication unless advised to do so
- do not stop using your NIV (non-invasive ventilation) if you are using this
People on the ‘highest risk list’ should strictly follow protective measures and hygiene measures. Read more on NHS Inform website.
If you are developing symptoms of Coronavirus
If you develop symptoms suggestive of Coronavirus (fever, persistent cough and/or shortness of breath) then please follow the advice on the NHS Inform website.
If you are using NIV (non-invasive ventilation):
- Do not stop using this equipment, if your symptoms worsen contact the home ventilation team or your respiratory nurse
- Make sure your immediate area around you is cleaned at least twice a day with hot soapy water including washing down of door handles
- Stop and ask any carers coming into your home to remove outer clothing and to wash their hands with soap and hot water and to also do this on leaving your home
If you have specific questions regarding your care, please contact your local MND Nurse Specialist who will be able to give you advice and information which takes into account your individual circumstances. They will be aware of the plans and procedures for your health board area and will be able to advise if you need to take any other additional precautions in keeping with your health board.