The situation around Coronavirus and the risks it poses is continually changing. We advise visiting the following NHS Inform website for real-time updates and advice. The Scottish Government also developed a leaflet with Covid-19 advice for people with neurological conditions. Download the leaflet here.
If you have MND:
- Do not stop taking any medication unless advised to do so
- Do not stop using your NIV (non-invasive ventilation) if you are using this
According to guidance published by Association of British Neurologists, if you have MND you are at high risk of Coronavirus severely affecting you. People with MND are not being asked to shield at this time and should follow the same guidance as everyone else (please see 'how to stay safe' section below).
If you are developing symptoms of Coronavirus
If you develop symptoms suggestive of Coronavirus (fever, persistent cough and/or shortness of breath) then please follow the advice on the NHS Inform website.
If you are using NIV (non-invasive ventilation):
- Do not stop using this equipment, if your symptoms worsen contact the home ventilation team or your respiratory nurse
- Make sure your immediate area around you is cleaned at least twice a day with hot soapy water including washing down of door handles
- Stop and ask any carers coming into your home to remove outer clothing and to wash their hands with soap and hot water and to also do this on leaving your home
If you have specific questions regarding your care, please contact your local MND nurse who will be able to give you advice and information which takes into account your individual circumstances. They will be aware of the plans and procedures for your health board area and will be able to advise if you need to take any other additional precautions in keeping with your health board.
The situation around Coronavirus and the risks it poses is changing rapidly. We advise visiting the following NHS Inform website for real-time updates and advice.